Client Rights & Responsibilities
St. Joseph's Care Group's Client Rights and Responsibilities support our commitment to putting clients first and being a leader in client-centred care. The guiding document helps clarify what clients can expect at St. Joseph's Care Group. Client Rights and Responsibilities was developed with input from clients, families and staff groups and helps strengthen our focus and accountability for delivering high quality care. It also supports the main goal of the Excellent Care for All Act (ECFAA) legislation: to blend quality and value in such a way that Ontarians will be able to count on the health care system for generations to come.
As a client of St. Joseph's Care Group, my unique wants and needs will be acknowledged. Family and/or others who I choose to be included in my care are important partners who help lead decisions about my care and are treated with dignity and respect at all times.
If I am not capable of making decisions, my substitute decision-maker has the legal right to make them for me.
As a client at St. Joseph's Care Group, I have the right to:
- Have access to a variety of services that acknowledge my physical, mental, spiritual, social, cultural, vocational, educational and recreational needs
- Be recognized as an expert in my needs and have the opportunity to be a leader in making decisions about my care
- Have opportunity to choose who I want to include in my care team to help make decisions about my care
- Be provided information about my health, treatment options and consent to treatment in a way that I understand and at my request
- Be provided information, resources and other supports to help me make decisions about my care
Privacy of Personal Information
- Be assured that my personal information (including health, financial and other information) is kept confidential
- Be assured that my personal information is only made available to authorized persons
- Be informed about how to access my personal information
A Comfortable Environment
- Receive care in a clean and safe environment
- Receive a timely orientation to the space where I receive care
- Be afforded privacy during treatment to the best extent possible
- Be kept informed about rules and regulations that govern the care environment
Share my Voice and Help Make Improvements
- Be made aware of opportunities to provide feedback (e.g. compliments, concerns and suggestions)
- Be assured that my feedback is only made available to those who have a right of access
- Be provided a fair and timely process to manage my concerns without negative impact on my care
- Have engagement activities (including surveys, focus groups, research studies and other) explained to me before being invited to voluntarily participate
- Provide my consent to participate and withdraw my consent and participation at any time during any engagement activity
By partnering with others on my care team to make decisions about my care, and by treating others with respect and dignity, I am able to experience the best care possible.
As a client of St. Joseph's Care Group, I have responsibilities to other clients, family members, staff, physicians, volunteers and visitors.
As a client at St. Joseph's Care Group, I have the responsibility to:
- Treat others with courtesy and consideration at all times
- Respect the confidentiality of others
Be a Leader in my Care
- Participate in making decisions about my care
- Ask questions when I don't understand information provided to me
- Provide relevant information to members of my care team to help them in making decisions about my care
- Be on time for appointments and call if I cannot keep an appointment
- Report any concern to staff or a manager
- Recognize and follow safety practices
- Treat supplies, equipment and furnishings with care and respect
- Report to staff anything I believe needs attention with regard to safety or security