Outpatient Neurology Rehabilitation
The Outpatient Neurology service is a part of the continuum of care for adults in Northwestern Ontario with neurological conditions such as stroke and spinal cord injuries.
The Seating Clinic assesses and prescribes the most appropriate mobility and seating equipment for a client as well as provides consultations to other therapists in the region, and pressure assessments.
The Amputee Clinic is a multidisciplinary clinic for persons requesting assessment of suitability for prosthesis, funding for prosthesis and/ or modifications of an existing prosthesis.
Moving on after a Stroke
The 'MOST' program is for people who want to learn about strategies to manage the daily challenges of living with a stroke.
- Services are provide to outpatients 15 years of age and older
- Services are provided to the following
- Brain and spinal cord injuries/disorders
- Polyneuropathies (e.g., ALS)
- Vestibular dysfunctions
- Clients are referred by physician
- Clients referred from outside the region are expected to maintain contact with a family physician within the region.
- The client may require only one service
- The client is able to tolerate up to 2 hours
- The client is able to attend consistently
- The client is motivated and has the support of significant others
- The client is able to participate in a home rehabilitation program
- Diagnosis may be progressive and require ongoing assessment (e.g., Parkinson’s, MS)
- Social Work
- Occupational Therapy
- Speech-Language Pathology
- Therapeutic Recreationist
- To provide assessment and treatment for clients with neurological conditions
- To facilitate referral to most appropriate program
- To promote independence on an outpatient basis as safety at home is not an issue and/or the client is able to access outpatient therapy regularly
- To prevent hospitalization and maintain ability to live at home
- The goals of the referral have been accomplished/addressed
- The client has reached a plateau for 2 or more months
- Equipment has been purchased
- Change in status
- Cancellation of appointments without justification
- More than one no-show without explanation
A list of medications and present equipment is needed on the first appointment.